Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hamlet Act 1

       I am not usually a fan of older writing in that I usually have trouble reading and understanding them, but in the case of Hamlet i actually enjoyed it, and look forward to the rest of it.  The story is full of suspense and drama keeping you wondering what will happen next.  I can see the relations of how this story can fit in with even todays society, it seems to fit seamlessly with Hollywood today with the heartache, revenge and betrayal.

              The setting in Hamlet acts as pivotal part of the story showing the chilling world they are forced to live in with the recent betrayal and the death of the former king by his own brother.  I beleive that the act is made to be told to take place in the dark of the night showing the dismal dark time that Denmark is currently in with the death of the king and reign of current king Claudius. The return of the king in his ghostly state I believe further instills that there is fear in the guards during this dark time "Most like. It harrows me with fear and wonder."(1591)

         The betrayal of the deceased king and his country is played out through the characters of Claudius and the queen.  Their relationship is disgusting how the Queen could marry her dead husbands brother, I wonder if she knew that her new husband killed her old one and if she was forced into marrying him because of status or choice.

2 comments:

  1. Craig, I agree that older English is very hard to read and fully understand the concept and depths of the story. I too am excited to learn more from other classmate's journals. The fact that the queen can marry her brother in law is in a way awkward and disturbing. I was trying to put myself in her shoes and I can't ever imagine being in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the Old English takes a bit of time to get used to but after a while it wasn't so bad for me. Good point on the setting I did imagine it as dark and cold but it really didn't click that it could be a plot point. It is weird about the Claudius and Gertrude, I tend to think it is about her status as queen.

    ReplyDelete