Sunday, March 13, 2011

DRJ #2

This act didn’t catch me as intriguing as the first one did but nonetheless I am actually enjoying this.  I don’t feel that I can relate to anyone in this story nor do I know of anyone personally that could relate to in Hamlet, but rather I find Polonius to be similar to a scholar that thinks he knows it all. 

Polonius finds himself able to judge others similar to a therapist, but probably filled with flaws within him.  Polonius seems to be condescending towards Hamlet, but I wonder if that he is just being that way because he has to in order to keep the king happy.  He seems to bring on more drama and anguish on towards the queen as he harps on her son as he is crazy, which would creates such disrespect acting as the main antagonist.

I think that this scene is full of deception and deception on the parts of the King, Queen, and Polonius.  This scene is filled with the three of them going behind Hamlets back and scheming plans at his defense.  At such a time I'll loose my daughter to him. Be you and I behind an arras then; Mark the encounter.” Polonius continues to acts very shady and hides his identity towards Hamlet.

1 comment:

  1. Craig,

    I too, found Polonius to be a shady character. He does think he knows everything. But, as far as he is concerned with Hamlet I think he is trying to protect his daughter's reputation. He knows that Hamlet could never marry her. So all he could do is use her and ruin her chances with another suitable man later down the line. I think he is genuinely concerned for his daughter. I also found it interesting that so many people are plotting behind Hamlet's back.
    -Taryne

    ReplyDelete